Saturday, July 24, 2010

Can using a medicine for ulcers when you don't have an ulcer give you one?

Hi, I have a condition called hyperhidrosis (it is where you have excessive sweating), and my doctor prescribed a pill medicine called Glycopyrrolate. The medicine is for ulcers, but it produces side effects that decreases sweating, so that is why she prescribed it. I have been taking it since the beginning of March, and for the past week my stomach has been aching everyday. I've never had this kind of ache before and it hurts in near my abdomen, in between my rib cages. It hurts when I'm hungry and also when I'm done eating. It doesn't hurt a lot, but it is bothering me and I was wondering if it is from taking this medicine. I guess I'm asking if taking a medicine for ulcers can actually give you one if you never had an ulcer in the first place? Also, do my symptoms sound like they are from an ulcer? Please help if you can, thanks :)

Can using a medicine for ulcers when you don't have an ulcer give you one?
No, it can't give you an ulcer. Probably, though, the medication is just hard on your stomach. It happens often times with prescription medications. You should ask your doctor about it and see if she could prescribe something milder maybe.





I have an ulcer and discussed medication for it, however was told that oftentimes these medications can just cause side effects that are as bad as what they treat. Lots of ulcer medications are especially hard to digest so that they can stay in the stomach longer and do more good for the ulcer.





Ulcers burn and usually they do so enough to affect daily life. It isn't an ache but more sharp pain or a burning sensation. They also tend to cause nausea if they are in the stomach and hurt worse when the stomach is empty.If drinking a glass of milk or eating yogurt makes your stomach ache go away, it might be an ulcer.





Otherwise it just sounds like a bad side effect of the medication itself. Might try to find something easier on your stomach. Upset stomach is a listed side effect of this medication so you might want to check out other things that might be related to taking it.





Good luck.

golden ball

No comments:

Post a Comment